We’re Looking for a Communications Intern
March 9, 2022
Position Title: Communications Intern
About Us: The Vancouver Pride Society (VPS) produces the annual Vancouver Pride Parade and Sunset Beach Festival, in addition to eight other annual events. VPS strives to produce inclusive, celebratory events, and advocate for 2SLGBTQAI+ communities through an intersectional lens.
Position: The Communications Intern is a full-time contract position, intended to coordinate multiple platforms including the VPS website, app and social media over our 2022 Pride Season. The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Assisting the Communications Manager and Communications Coordinator in executing the VPS 2022 communication strategy;
- Preparing the monthly newsletter;
- Monitoring social media engagement
- Writing articles and content for web, newsletters, and social media;
- Managing social media volunteers at event sites;
- Taking photos at event sites;
- Answering information request phone calls;
- Preparing resource, educational and advocacy materials for outreach;
- Liaising with Event Coordinators to promote events;
- Attending weekly staff meetings and event-specific meetings;
- Supporting the team with web upkeep
- Administering media passes
- Assisting with events set up and tear down
- Participating in event debriefing and other season-end reporting
- Attending staff meetings
Canada Summer Jobs Program Requirements: This position is pending approval from Canada Summer Jobs. Candidates must meet the following criteria…
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment.
- A valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Core Competencies: The applicant will be expected to perform duties consistent with being a Communications Intern as assigned by the Communications Manager. The successful Communications Intern candidate will possess the following skills and attributes:
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills
- Ability to stay calm in a high stress situation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with Google Drive and Google apps such as docs and sheets
- Experience using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok
- Familiarity with 2SLGBTQAI+ communities and associated terminology
- Flexibility to work weekends and evenings as required
- Educational background in web or app development or communications/marketing
- Experience working in events
- Experience with iOS and Android apps and WordPress
- Intermediate knowledge in photography and videography
- Experience with crisis management/communications
- Valid B.C. driver’s license
Compensation: Compensation is $20.00/hour. This position is 40 hours a week, generally taking place from Mon-Fri during office hours, but requires flexibility to work evenings and weekends for events. This position runs from May 16, 2022 to August 12, 2022.
Diversity: Vancouver Pride Society is committed to seeking and sustaining a diverse and inclusive organization and as such, encourages those with diverse backgrounds, abilities, genders, sexual orientations and ethnicities to apply.
Application: To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume in a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Communications Intern” in the subject line.
The deadline for applications is April 1, 2022.