We’re Hiring a Volunteer Coordinator
September 12, 2022
The role of the Volunteer Coordinator is to recruit and manage volunteers for the 2023 Pride season. This role will be part-time during the off-season (September-January) and full time in the lead up to our main season (February-August). While this role is part-time, it can be worked via a hybrid working from home model apart from some in person activities such as attending Volunteer fairs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruiting volunteers for the 2023 Pride Season through new and existing channels
- Creating detailed volunteer management plans for each event across the 2023 Pride Season
- Being the primary point of contact for event and office volunteers day to day and on-site during events
- Reviewing and updating volunteer shift postings to ensure they are detailed and cover all bases
- Coordinating committees/working groups that may consist of volunteers, staff and community members
- Developing plans in collaboration with the Accessibility Coordinator to make accommodations for volunteers with access needs
- Booking venue space, creating content and facilitating volunteer training sessions;
- Ordering and managing delivery of volunteer supplies including but not limited to, t-shirts, volunteer food, water, etc.
- Tracking donations made by businesses that are intended to be given out as Volunteer appreciation items
- Ensuring the wellbeing of volunteers while on event sites or in our office
- Planning and implementing volunteer recognition programs after the delivery of our 2023 Pride Season
- Attending and reporting as needed at weekly staff meetings and event-specific meetings
- Assisting with events logistics such as set up and tear down, storage locker organization, office clean ups, etc.
- Submitting season-end reporting such as total volunteer hours, shifts worked, etc.
The applicant will be expected to perform duties consistent with being a Volunteer Coordinator as assigned by the Co-Executive Directors. The successful Volunteer Coordinator candidate will possess the following skills and attributes:
- Experience being a volunteer and showing leadership in a community
- Experience managing volunteers or groups
- Comfortable speaking publicly in front of medium-large groups of people
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to connect with and motivate volunteers
- Flexibility to work weekends and evenings as required
- Ability to create and follow timelines and meet critical deadlines
- Experience working within a budget and tracking expenditures
- Experience with Google Drive and Google apps such as Docs and Sheets
- Ability to stay calm in high-stress situations
- Critical thinking skills
- Lived experience with 2SLGBTQAI+ communities, history, politics and associated intersectional terminology
- Valid BC Drivers License
- Experience with volunteer management software (VPS uses Better Impact)
- Anti-Oppression, Anti-Racism and/or Disability justice experience
This role will be hourly. Compensation will range from $24-$28 per hour based on relevant experience. This position is 20 hours per week from September to January 31st 2022, and will increase to 40 hours per week from February 1st 2023 to August 31st 2023, generally taking place from Mon-Fri during office hours, but requires flexibility to work evenings and weekends for events, as well as on call for emergency or urgent crisis communications. This position is a permanent, continuing position.
Vancouver Pride Society encourages folks of diverse backgrounds, abilities, and experiences to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and employ people without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or abilities.
It is our intent to have a workplace that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. We thank you for your interest in this role. If you require an accommodation to apply, please email email@example.com or call 604-687-0955 ext 1.
To apply please follow these steps:
- Please submit a cover letter detailing why you would like to work for Vancouver Pride Society, your connection to the 2SLGBTQAI+ community and your experience with managing volunteers, as well as, your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please include “Volunteer Coordinator” in the subject line.
Applications are due on Sunday, Oct 9 at 11:59 PM.