We’re Hiring a Communications Manager!
January 19, 2021
Communications Manager Job Posting
(Please follow application instructions at the bottom of this posting.)
The Vancouver Pride Society (VPS) produces the annual Vancouver Pride Parade and Sunset Beach Festival, in addition to eight other annual events. VPS strives to produce inclusive, celebratory events, and advocate for LGBTQAI2S+ communities through an intersectional lens.
The role of the Communications Manager is to develop and implement a communications strategy for Vancouver Pride Society(VPS) which advances the public reputation of VPS, informs the public of VPS activities, and facilitates internal and external communication.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop an annual communications strategy for VPS
- Create communications plan which increases awareness of VPS activities
- Develop social media and website content calendar
- Manage internal marketing requests
- Hire, train, and supervise communication coordinator and summer interns
- Implement communications strategy, plan, and content calendar
- Create and edit content for monthly newsletter, web and social media
- Curate social media and web content
- Assist Executive Director, Board Members and other colleagues in editing materials, e-mails, and external communications when needed
- Write press releases and manage up to date media contact list
- Research topics which advance the goals and operations of VPS
- Crisis management communications as needed
- Managing social media volunteers at event sites
- Taking photos and video at event sites
- Answering information request phone calls
- Preparing resource, educational and advocacy materials for outreach
- Liaising with Event Coordinators to promote events
- Attending weekly staff meetings and event-specific meetings
- Assisting with events logistics such as set up and tear down, storage locker organization, office clean ups, etc.
The applicant will be expected to perform duties consistent with being a Communications Manager as assigned by the Executive Director. The successful Communications Manager candidate will possess the following skills and attributes:
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to stay calm in high stress situations
- Critical thinking skills
- Familiarity with LGBTQAI2S+ communities, history, politics and associated intersectional terminology
- 2+ years of experience in a Communications position or degree in Communications
- Experience with Google Drive and Google apps such as docs and sheets
- Experience using Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram and ability to create appropriate content for each platform
- Ability to assist team on event sites with set-up and tear down
- Flexibility to work weekends and evenings as required
- Valid BC Drivers License
- Experience with iOS and Android apps and WordPress
Compensation is $24.00/hour. This position is 40 hours per week, generally taking place from Mon-Fri during office hours, but requires flexibility to work evenings and weekends for events, as well as on call for emergency or urgent crisis communications. This position can begin as soon as March 1, 2021 and is a permanent, continuing position.
Vancouver Pride Society is committed to seeking and sustaining a diverse and inclusive organization and as such, encourages those with diverse backgrounds, abilities, genders, sexual orientations and ethnicities to apply.
To apply please follow these steps: * Please submit a cover letter detailing why you would like to work for Vancouver Pride Society, your connection to the LGBTQAI2S+ community and your experience with managing communications, as well as, your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include “Communications Manager” in the subject line.
- Please also include at least 2 writing samples. These could include articles, social media posts or press releases you have written.
The deadline for applications is February 3, 2021.
Application deadline: 2021-02-03
Expected start date: 2021-03-01
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $24.00 per hour
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- On-site gym
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
We are working remotely at the current time. When we move back to being in the office in the spring, we will follow all Covid protocols such as wearing masks, sanitizing, using air purifiers, etc.
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place