We’re Hiring a Managing Director!
May 26, 2021
Vancouver Pride Society is seeking someone who is a big-picture, strategic thinker and also enjoys delving into financial and policy details. You have experience with budgeting, accounts payable/receivable, payroll, policy development and grant writing. You are on board with being part of an organization that has committed to on-going learning around intersectionality, unlearning racism and decolonization. Our team works hard, but also takes time to celebrate birthdays/milestones, have potlucks (when we are allowed to again!) and enjoy sparkles, rainbows and unicorns. If this sounds like a position that fits you, please apply.
Organization: The Vancouver Pride Society strives to produce inclusive, celebratory events, and advocate for LGBTQAI2S+ communities through an intersectional lens.
Job Title: Managing Director
Purpose: The Managing Director contributes to the overall success of the Vancouver Pride Society by overseeing fundraising, administrative, and financial elements of the organization in support of the Vancouver Pride Society, including the annual Pride Parade and Festivals, as well as, year-round events.
- Ensure the sustainability of the VPS through developing and executing sound fiscal management policies and procedures;
- Along with the Executive Director and Operations Manager, implement the organization’s strategic direction in line with the VPS’s mission and values;
- Engage with board of directors, staff and community to develop strategic direction;
- Work with the Board Secretary to update policies and procedures on a rolling basis;
- Ensure that VPS policies and procedures are in compliance with both VPS by-laws and the BC Societies Act.
- Work with the Executive Director and Operations Manager to select and hire administrative staff;
- Manage administrative staff and volunteers by supporting their needs in line with VPS policies;
- Oversee production, sales and distribution of the Official Pride Guide and related external partnerships;
- In consultation with the Executive Director and VPS board, execute lease renewals and capital expenditures
- Maintain staff HR files
- Train existing staff on new policies and procedures;
- Provide orientation for new and seasonal staff;
- Oversee cash handling on event sites;
- Oversee event site bars, liquor orders and bar management;
- Assist staff and volunteers with event set up and tear down;
- Provide supervision of staff and volunteers on event sites.
- Identify and execute high-quality grant applications and reports;
- Manage relationships with grant funding partners;
- Along with the Executive Director, oversee Corporate Partnerships and review all partnership proposals to ensure they align with VPS’ values;
- Ensure all Corporate Partnership deliverables are met
- Create, manage, and monitor VPS’s annual and event budget, in consultation with the Executive Director and Operations Manager;
- Manage accounts receivable and ensure timely collection of all outstanding payments;
- Manage accounts payable and ensure timely payment to all suppliers;
- Coordinate with the bookkeeper to ensure timely recording of financial transactions through the BDO bookkeeping system;
- Report financial information internally and to the finance committee as required;
- Consult with and report to the Board Treasurer on strategic and relevant operational matters;
- Ensure compliance with grant funding terms and conditions;
- Manage payroll through the online payroll system and timesheet system;
- Manage merchant accounts, credit card contracts/payments, cash flow and VPS bank accounts;
- Generate detailed invoices for VPS customers and partners;
- Ensure compliance with all CRA obligations (file taxes, GST and PST reports, etc)
- Oversee the annual financial audit and provide documentation as requested.
- 3-5 years experience in business, finance or not for profit management;
- Experience with accounting software, budget and cash flow templates;
- Working knowledge of the Google drive and Microsoft suite;
- Experience in creating policies and procedures and HR practices;
- Able to multitask, problem solve and remain flexible within a fast paced and changing environment;
- Ability to build strong relationships with community, civic, and business partners;
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team in a high pressure environment;
- A desire to take initiative, identify and act on problems and lead by example;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills;
- Class 5 Driver’s license.
- Degree in Business, Finance, Management or related field;
- Experience working for positive change within LGBTQAI2S+ communities;
- First Aid and Serving it Right Certificates.
Accountability: The Managing Director is accountable to the Executive Director.
Hours of work: This is a permanent position at 40 hours/week. The hours of work are typically Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Please note that the Managing Director will be required to work some evenings, weekends and overtime. The Managing Director is expected to be present at all VPS events.
Start date: The expected start date for this position is August 9, 2021 but can be flexible.
Application: Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, include “Managing Director application” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
Vancouver Pride Society is committed to seeking and sustaining a diverse and inclusive organization and as such, encourages those with diverse backgrounds, abilities, gender identities, sexual orientations and ethnicities to apply.
While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Permanent
Salary: $68,000-$72,000/year plus benefits, based on experience.
Job Location: Vancouver, BC